Maintenance Technician (first shift 5AM to 1:30 PM including weekends; second shift 2:30PM to 11PM including weekends)
Founded in Philadelphia in 2010, Wash Cycle Laundry is the fastest, most convenient and sustainable way for urban businesses to do laundry. We are a triple-bottom line social enterprise committed to creating a launching pad into upwardly mobile careers, especially for people with histories of incarceration and homelessness, who make up over half of our team. We are also working to push the boundaries of environmental sustainability, adopting cutting-edge green technologies inside the plant and pioneering the use of cargo bikes for urban laundry delivery.
Maintenance Technicians are responsible for keeping our equipment in good operating condition, both by performing preventive maintenance and cleaning and by making repairs. You'll also be the "first responder" to minor issues, working hand in hand with our Laundry Team members to respond to issues such as equipment jams, blocked sensors, and other day-to-day issues.
You’re a hands-on person who both enjoys solving puzzles and thinking about systems. Your days will be varied -- some days, you’ll be figuring out why a belt keeps on “walking” over a sensor, while other days you might be clearing a jam from a folding machine. You’ll be working with our front line staff to understand the issues each machine has and what we can do to solve them.
You’ll have worked with industrial equipment before that includes electric, gas, plumbing and pneumatic systems. You can read error messages, and know your way around an equipment manual. You know the difference between an I/O board and a PLC. You’ll know how to diagnose whether a problem comes from a mechanical failure, a blocked sensor, or a problem with the programming, and what to do next after you’ve figured that out.
You’ll be our “first responder” to major equipment issues, and occasionally provide emergency service outside of normal business hours. You’ll report to our General Manager, an industry veteran who can provide significant guidance and mentorship.
You will work creatively to advance our sustainability mission to minimize our usage of water, energy, and chemicals. You’ll also work with our production managers and front line staff to build habits that save energy and water. You’ll be genuinely excited if you find a way to reduce our water usage by 0.3 gallons per pound (which would work out to millions of gallons of water per year).
You’ll ensure that our facilities are safe for everybody who enter them. Working with our production managers, you’ll ensure all employees know the do’s and don't s of working around our equipment and supplies.
- Performing preventive maintenance tasks
- Performing minor repairs
- Maintaining a safe work environment
- Performing emergency service, occasionally outside of business hours
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with electronic, pneumatic, and mechanical systems
- Prior experience with industrial equipment required; commercial laundry equipment a plus
- Physical ability and know-how to safely perform maintenance tasks described in our equipment operating manuals, including lifting, bending, crawling, climbing, pushing, pulling, twisting, etc.
- Familiarity with OSHA rules concerning maintenance
- Demonstrated commitment to social impact (such as volunteer work, prior work history, etc.) a plus
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language ability strongly preferred
Compensation and Schedule:
- Pay rate: Maintenance Technicians earn $22 to $25/hour based on experience, plus paid time off.
- Benefits: Paid time off (PTO), paid on-site education and training opportunities, health insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance.
- Schedule: Monday through Sunday first shift: 5 AM to 1:30 PM. Monday through Sunday second shift: 2.30 PM to 11 PM. Employees will have two days off per week and must be available on weekends. Some emergency service occasionally required outside of these hours.
- The position is full time.
About Wash Cycle Laundry
Wash Cycle Laundry was founded in 2010. We provide commercial and hotel laundry services to everybody from owner-operated hair salons to global airline and hotel brands. We serve amazing businesses in Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC.
Wash Cycle Laundry is a CORI-friendly, equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to second-chance hiring. Since the business began, we have consistently recruited, hired, and promoted individuals with a background of incarceration, justice system involvement, homelessness, recovery from substance use, use of public benefits, and other significant sources of life disruption.
We look forward to reading your application!
Sobre Wash Cycle Laundry
Wash Cycle Laundry fue fundada en el 2010 como un servicio de lavandería y alquiler de lencería hotelera y comercial. Brindamos servicios de lavandería comercial y hotelera a muchas empresas, desde salones de belleza operados por propietarios hasta marcas globales de aerolíneas y hoteles. Brindamos servicios a empresas increíbles en Boston, Filadelfia, Baltimore y Washington, DC.
Wash Cycle Laundry es un empleador compatible con CORI que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades y se dedica a la contratación de segunda oportunidad. Desde que nuestra empresa inició, hemos reclutado, contratado y promovido constantemente a personas con antecedentes de encarcelamiento, presencia en el sistema judicial, personas sin hogar, personas en recuperación del uso de sustancias, uso pasado de asistencia financiera por parte del estado y/o cualquier otras situaciones significativas que han podido interrumpir o afectado sus vidas.
Esperamos leer su solicitud!